G1WH dashcam mount for 2009 Subaru Legacy and 2015 Subaru Forester
This is a neat ballhead based adjustable dashcam mount which replaces G1WH cam's terrible mounting system.Gadget
Creative Commons Attribution Share Alike
Commercial use is allowed, you must attribute the creator, you may remix this work and the remixed work should be made available under this license.
Materials and methods
To lock the mount baseplate to the car's mirror ring you will need:
- 2 pcs M3x10 mm countersunk bolts
- 2 pcs M3 nuts
To assemble the ballhead you will need:
- 1 pc M4x30 mm hex headed bolt
- 1 pc M4 nut
- 1 pc M4 washer
- 1 pc M3x10 mm countersunk bolt
- 1 pc M3 nut
The pictures are speaking for itself but here is the assembly HOWTO:
1. assemble the base
- put the M3 nuts into their holes in "mirror mount clamp"
- use an M3x10 bolt to join the "mirror mount clamp" with the "mirror mount main" component
- put an M3 nut into its hole on the bottom of "mirror mount main" component
- screw in the "ball joint sole" into "mirror mount main" by using an M3x10 bolt
2. attach the base to the car's windscreen
- position the assembled base around the mirror base on the windscreen
- lock it tight by using an M3x10 bolt
3. Assemble the mount of the G1WH camera
- push the M4x30 hex-headed bolt thru the "ball joint middle"
- add an M4 washer to the end of the protruding bolt
- pull the prepared "ball joint middle" thru the "ball joint lock" component. Be careful - the thread on the "ball joint lock" component must look towards the ball.
- push an M4 nut into the hex hole on the "dashcam clamp ring"
- screw the M4x30 bolt into this nut - just make sure that the M4 nut and the "ball joint lock"
- push the G1WH camera's optics into the "dashcam clamp ring"
- screw in the M4x30 bolt to lock the camera in place
- attach the camera to the base by screwing the "ball joint lock" to the "ball joint sole" component.
That's all. I also made an assembly HOWTO video but at that time the "ball joint sole" component was the part of the "mirror mount main" component. Later I separated them for more precise thread printability.
I printed every component with 25% infill, 0.2 mm layer height.
If you would need to mount the G1WH dashcam to a 2015 Subaru Forester then print components "Forester mirror clamp bottom" and "Forester mirror clamp top" instead of "mirror mount clamp" and "mirror mount main".
Issues are used to track todos, bugs or requests. To get started, you could create an issue.