Thanks for downloading!
We'd love to hear from you if the print was successful.
Hinge for 20mm T-Slot Extrusions
I made a hinge for 20mm T-slot extrusions, using 5mm hardware for mounting and rod stock for the pin.3D printer parts and enhancements
Creative Commons Attribution Share Alike
Commercial use is allowed, you must attribute the creator, you may remix this work and the remixed work should be made available under this license.
This is a work in progress, but it's tested pretty nicely so far.
This style is called a "flag" hinge in the Misumi catalog. I wanted a lot of hinges for several enclosures, and felt that $5 a piece adds up quickly.
I have a panel hinge plate to put a panel to the surface of extrusions. I have not tested the panel part yet, but I have built a set. The panel flag is meant to allow flush use of 3mm thick and 5mm thick panels. There's a lot of interesting options, and a couple ideas I want to explore yet.
I allowed for 5mm hardware, and gave room for a flat washer to distribute pressure. Build it right, and it's going to be an durable, yet smoothly operating part.
I build with 3 perimeters, 0.5mm perimeters (with 0.4mm or smaller nozzle)Scale up the part in slicer to fit other sizes. If it's no good, I can make other sizes if needed. I only use 20mm series right now.
Now including solid model files from Geomagic Design (Cubify Design), both formerly Alibre. Also available in STEP format.
Materials and methods
- The "2020 Hinge" is the part that goes to an extrusion.
- "2020 Hinge Panel" is offset for a 3mm or 5mm panel, depending which side you use.
- 5mm or 3/36" smooth rod, 40mm long. sand the ends to a slight taper.
- for 3/16", #9, #10 and #11 drills are handy. #11 for the friction fit side, #9 or #10 for the swinging part.
- For 5mm rod, 5mm and 5.1mm or so for friction fit and swinging, respectively.
- Drill bits that haven't been used on metal work best.
- Once the hole is sized just under the pin size, an arbor press helps, but gentle taps with a light hammer should be all that's needed.
- A 40mm long M5 screw will work too. Partially threaded is best. The pivoting hinge should be drilled out slightly for best movement.
- If a pivot pin is used, sand a bevel into the ends if there isn't one there. I cut them out of smooth rod stock.
Issues are used to track todos, bugs or requests. To get started, you could create an issue.