modular printhead for Ultimaker2 - v2.2
Modular head to aid mounting alternative heads to the Ulitimaker23D printer parts and enhancements
Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike
Commercial use is not allowed, you must attribute the creator, you may remix this work and the remixed work should be made available under this license.
Inspired by Foehnsturm (https://www.youmagine.com/designs/ulitimaker-orig-modular-printhead-merlin-ubis) but build from scratch for the Ultimaker2.
I started with a version1 based on a mirrored baseblock of foehnsturm, but due to the asymmetrical rod placement you would lose more buildspace then necessary. I managed to get an almost symmetrical rod placement.
- you can use this head with the default UM2 firmware, but the margins are small. I only have 1mm of space between the block on the front of the printer when starting a print.
- if you create your own alternative mounts (paste struder, plotter, full metal head,... many projects possible..) you will need to reduce the XY margins in firmware.
- for cable management take 2 tie wraps of the same small size, from 1 you only need the head, mount as in the picture.
- For mounting and un-mounting; remove filament and bowden tube, remove the 2 long screws at the left side.
- To remove the 3 original black plastic parts you don't need to remove cables at the printboard side, the fans have connectors in the black sleeve you can easily clip/unclip.
- Mark your XY rods before removal (they are not the same length) and check how far they need to stick out to touch the endswitch.
- MAKE SURE to level your bed after installation !!
- If you create an alternative mount for this, please share it, preferably including the step file.
- I printed mine with 0.1 layer, 50% fill, 1,2 shell, 35 mm/s
- "Mount_v2i2e.stl" has 1 build in support you can easily take out with a small plier, no need for additional support in cura.
- Want to discuss this thing? do it here;
- If you noticed my nozzle is not UM2 default, its an exchangable "olson block"
A Plotter is available for this design here;
Materials and methods
Issues are used to track todos, bugs or requests. To get started, you could create an issue.