Thanks for downloading!
We'd love to hear from you if the print was successful.
Motion Kinetic Art Sculpture
3D printed moving kinetic art sculptureArt
Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike
Commercial use is not allowed, you must attribute the creator, you may remix this work and the remixed work should be made available under this license.
I have often seen these type of moving art pieces for both indoor and outdoor exhibiting. I really wanted one until I saw the price tag. I said to myself, "I can print myself one", and here is the result.
Moving Motion Kinetic Art Sculpture:
Although this is version 3 for me, I think I have it printing, assembling, and moving the way I want. It doesn't mean I may not get creative and change things up, but it has been a long and fun journey. I'll take a little break from this project ;-)
One of the files included, "Motion_Kinetic_Art_Sculpture.pdf", contain the list of parts (printed and non-printed) along with assembly instructions. If you need help, please reach out.
Materials and methods
All parts were printed in 0.2mm PETG or PLA. Where special consideration was made for support or modified printing I have indicated below. All parts were printed in their current orientation.
- 14 x motion-art-ring-arm-bearing.stl
- 28 x motion-art-ring-arm-blade.stl (Used PETG and increased perimeter to 4 to give flexibility and strength)
- 13 x motion-art-ring-segment.stl (print with support)
- motion-art-tower-ring-right.stl (print with support)
- motion-art-tower-ring-left.stl (print with support)
Ring blade spheres
- 28 x motion-art-spheres-1.stl
- 28 x motion-art-spheres-2.stl
- 28 x motion-art-spheres-3.stl
- 28 x motion-art-spheres-4.stl
- 28 x motion-art-spheres-5.stl
- 28 x motion-art-spheres-6.stl
- 28 x motion-art-spheres-7.stl
- 28 x motion-art-spheres-8.stl
- 2 x motion-art-gear-tower.stl
19in Macramé ring
- You need some rigid ring to hold the structure. This worked really well.
608 Bearings – Need 14 for ring, 2 for the ring gears, and 3 for tower gear axis
12v Gear Reduced Motor
12v Motor Voltage Speed Controller
12v Power Supply
Metal wire for ring guides
- I found this brass welding wire, that was perfect. Good color, stiff and the right diameter.
M3x8 screws (4 to mount motor, 2 for switch, 2 to hold gears)
Electrical Wire, 2 conductor 20awg
Issues are used to track todos, bugs or requests. To get started, you could create an issue.