Thanks for downloading!
We'd love to hear from you if the print was successful.
Improved XY blocks for the Ultimaker3D printer parts and enhancements
Creative Commons Attribution Share Alike
Commercial use is allowed, you must attribute the creator, you may remix this work and the remixed work should be made available under this license.
So while trying to maintain the major benefits of the original (integrated adjustability, low profile, removable without taking out the 8mm axes) I set out to redesign them - with improved assembly and accessibility.
The result is the Reptar XY block, a strong, easy-to-print, easy to assemble, highly functional XY bushing block... which was designed almost in its entirety before I printed it in purple and green and embraced the fact that it looked like a dinosaur. ...Anyway, like I said, it offers some big usability improvements:
- The Main body (green part) snap-fits onto the bronze bushing and the 6mm rod, holding them captive - which means you can assemble most of it without any screwing, and then add screws later to make everything secure.
- All of the screws are accessible from the front side, including the tension adjustment screw. This is a very nice feature and makes assembly much more enjoyable
- The bronze bushing does not get deformed as you tighten things up
- The limit switch 'spikes' are a separate part, which means you print 4 of the same assemblies and just screw the 2 limit spikes to the appropriate XY blocks - less files to manage.
**2013.08.20 - v1.16 Update:** *I've uploaded the latest STL files, after printing several dozen of these and installing them on 3 machines. I now believe, however, that a combined XY block + tensioning mechanism is not necessarily the best path forward (see comments) and will be redesigning this in order to simplify it further.*
**2013.08.06 - v1.16 Changelog:** *Added small tabs to locate the bushings!*
**2013.07.31 - v1.15 Changelog:** *Changed the shape of the clamp jaw to get better clamping and a cleaner print. Parametric files only at the moment, I'll upload STLs when I get a little more testing in.*
**2013.07.30 - v1.14 Changelog:** *Updated switch trigger clearance. There will now need to be two separate parts for this, unfortunately. Uploading the longer one soon. Made some improvements to the tensioning mechanism as well as the clamping. Parametric files only at the moment, I'll upload STLs when I get a little more testing in.*
Materials and methods
3x #2 x 0.5" Torx Drive Plastite Screws (+1x when installing the limit switch spikes) (McMaster P/N: 99512A162)
- 2x #2 x 0.75" Torx Drive Plastite Screws (Mcmaster P/N: 96001A164)
- 2x Aluminum Standoff ( McMaster P/N: 94669A612)
Issues are used to track todos, bugs or requests. To get started, you could create an issue.