Water level indicator for self watering pot
Self watering pots are bloody expensive. By using this simple water level indicator and some clay balls you can convert any ordinary pot to a self watering pot.For your home
Creative Commons Attribution Share Alike
Commercial use is allowed, you must attribute the creator, you may remix this work and the remixed work should be made available under this license.
- print the parts
- cut the 25 mm plastic tube to the required length
- cut the bottom of the 25 mm plastic tube to zigzag to allow water flow underneath the buoy
- push the plastic tube into the bottom cage and level its bottom with the cage's bottom
- pull the "top corner w scale" to the top of the plastic tube
- push the bouy and the red staw together (you may also glue them but it's not neccessary)
- put the buoy into the tube
- stand the entire assembled appliance to the corner of the pot and re-level the top/bottom parts again
- now fill the pot with clay balls, plant your plant into the pot
- start filling the pot with water by oozing the water at the root of the plant
- fill the water until the straw on the indicator will not exceed the max. level
Update 20150728: I added a more solid bottom cage which can be printed without support.
Materials and methods
- a pot
- some clay balls
- some 25 mm diameter standard plastic tube used by electricians
- one red straw
Issues are used to track todos, bugs or requests. To get started, you could create an issue.