Thanks for downloading!
We'd love to hear from you if the print was successful.
Windmill-powered music box
This is a little windmill which powers a music box: You can set it up in your garden or on your balcony and every time the wind blows, you'll hear some nice music!Art
Creative Commons Attribution Share Alike
Commercial use is allowed, you must attribute the creator, you may remix this work and the remixed work should be made available under this license.
In order to build this project, I recommend to watch my how-to video, which you can find on my website: https://www.niklasroy.com/windmill
Materials and methods
- 1 Set 3D printed parts
- 1 Set Paper templates Download them from my website: https://www.niklasroy.com/windmill
- 1 Piece Hand crank music box / This will make the music!
- 1 Sheet 3mm thick sheet material(e.g. Forex, Alu-Dibond or Coroplast) / For base plate and windmill blades
- 1 Piece Hard sheet material (e.g. a cutting board) / Used as resonator
- 1 Piece Driving belt (worst case a long household rubberband will do the job) / Connects windmill rotor with music box
- 1 Piece 4mm diameter steel rod (18cm long) / Used as axle for the rotor
- 2 Pieces Ball bearings 26mm outside diameter, 10mm inside diameter, 8mm thick / Used for the rotor
- 2 Pieces Ball bearings 13mm outside diameter, 4mm inside diameter, 5mm thick / Used to mount the base plate
- 5 Pieces Short M3 screws (e.g. 10mm) / Used as set screws for the pulleys & to fix the music box on the resonator
- 2 Pieces 20mm long M3 screws & nuts / Used as set screws for the rotor parts
- 4 Pieces Short M3 screws (e.g. 7mm) / Used to fix the music box on the resonator
- 4 Pieces Long M3 screws (e.g. 40mm) / Used to fix the resonator on the base plate
- 12 Pieces M3 nuts & washers / Used to fix the resonator on the base plate
- 14 Pieces M4 x 20mm screws & nuts / Used to fix the wings on the rotor and the bearing mounts on the base plate
- 1 Piece M10 threaded rod (70cm - 1m) / Used to hold the windmill
- 4 Pieces M10 nuts / Used to lock the windmill on the threaded rod
Issues are used to track todos, bugs or requests. To get started, you could create an issue.