Report inappropriate content
This is reworked from Jim Kool's design for a filament dispenser/dry box. I was drawn to the self contained and clean design compared to other dry boxes that lay next to your printer.
The only issue with his design is that the Extended and non-Extended UM2 models have difference spacing between the filament mount and the feeder inlet. So using his design directly on my non-Extended UM2+ was out of the question.
Therefore, I chose to rework a few pieces of his design to make them work on a standard size UM2. I made other small changes as well like looser fits on bolt holes and changing some of the fillets to chamfers so the parts print better. I've only uploaded the parts that were changed/redesigned.
The first step was to mount it lower on the back panel. This was achieved using a filament hanger available on YouMagine (https://www.youmagine.com/designs/um2-filament-spool-side-hanger-with-um-connector) designed for mounting a roll on the side of the printer. I made an extension piece for the hanger to mount the dispenser lower so it lines up with the feeder. You simply need to print the original hanger parts and the extension piece. Note that the extension piece was designed for M3 heat set inserts.
Second, due to the hanger, the dispenser is pushed away from the panel which was originally designed to be mounted flush to the panel. In order to align the dispenser outlet with the feeder inlet, I redesigned the dispenser body and the dispenser funnel.
I also bought some 0.070" o-ring stock for the main lid seal instead of printing in TPU since it was too hard to create an adequate seal. Another issue I found was the main lid bolt was spec'd to be 70mm. I found this to be too short, an M8x80mm bolt allows you to secure the lid. The lid grate was also time consuming to print due to all the perimeters from the grid pattern. I found that it is better to print the solid grate and turn off top/bottom layers in the slicer. This way it prints just the infill (grid pattern) and achieves the same function to allow the desiccant to absorb moisture. Doing it this way, I've cut the print time on the lid down to around 2 hours.