Thanks for downloading!
We'd love to hear from you if the print was successful.
e-Nable - YuLia Custom hand
As part of the e-Nable project I was assigned to design a custom hand for a girl in need who would not benefit from the standard e-Nable devices. I designed the model from Scratch in Fusion360. This is the 4th and final prototype which is currently being tested by the hands name giver Yu-LiaTechForTrade
Creative Commons Attribution Share Alike
Commercial use is allowed, you must attribute the creator, you may remix this work and the remixed work should be made available under this license.
As part of the e-Nable project I was assigned to design a custom hand for a girl in need who would not benefit from the standard e-Nable devices.
I designed the model from Scratch in Fusion360. This is the 4th and final prototype which is currently being tested by the hands name giver Yu-Lia
The design is based on the "pinch" motion which is crucial for a good hand function. Yu-Lia still had a functioning (although deformed) finger which I integrated in the design function to act as the Index finger.
In the design I used a 3D scan of her hand and modeled the hand around it. The mechanics are similar to the raptor, but do rely heavily on the movement of Yu-Lia's remaining finger which essentially pulls the 3D printed thumb.
The design comes with 3 alternative tensioner links to provide different levels of leverage in the tensioning wire.
The tensioner links and the finger tips are connected using short pieces of 3mm filament (why design a 3mm pin when you have tons in stock :D )
You will notice the fingers are purely aesthetic the hand is fully functional without them.
Materials and methods
- 50cm Dynema (kite wire)
- 50cm Round Elastic cord of 1,5 to 2mm
- 50cm Double-sided 25mm velcro
- 20cm Filament in 3mm (this is used to connect the fingers and tensioner links)
- 1x Yu-lia proto04_finger1and2.stl
- 1x Yu-lia proto04_finger3.stl
- 3x Yu-lia proto04_fingertip.stl
- 1x Yu-lia proto04_gauntlet.stl
- 1x Yu-lia proto04_link top 1.stl
- 1x* Yu-lia proto04_link top 2.stl
- 1x* Yu-lia proto04_link top 3.stl
- 1x* Yu-lia proto04_tensioner.stl
- 1x Yu-lia proto04_thumb pin.stl
- 1x Yu-lia proto04_thumb.stl
* I have designed 3 versions of the 1st external link in the tensioner to allow for a larger leverage of the tension cord if required
Issues are used to track todos, bugs or requests. To get started, you could create an issue.