Thanks for downloading!
We'd love to hear from you if the print was successful.
Otterbox iPhone Belt Clip Mod to Mountain Bike Mount
This adapter allows the modification of your existing iPhone Otterbox Defender Belt Clip ( 6 Plus Pictured ) to mount to your mountain bike steering neck tube of approximately 35.50mm in diameter.Maker/DIY
Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike
Commercial use is not allowed, you must attribute the creator, you may remix this work and the remixed work should be made available under this license.
I've wanted to be able to mount my phone to my Cannondale F9 since I first purchased it and could never find a way to do so without a big clunky attachment, without having to buy a completely different case with its own proprietary mounts, or one that wasn't held together with double sided tape. So I finally got around to designing one that fit my purpose. I use the TrackMyRide+ App alot so this makes it easier to both see calls and handle your phone without having to pull it out of your pockets while riding. Or you could even watch a movie on the go! :P
The version pictured is my first version which has worked great and has held my phone safely for over 60 miles of riding. I've uploaded V2 which reduces the amount of material necessary to print it and should still give a good solid hold.
1) Print the adapter. ( I used 2mm walls with a 80% infill ) I added a small pilot hole in the center of the adapter to force Cura to create a 4mm~ area of material around the center to make the use of a screw attachment easier for those who use less infill ( ie: 20% ). The center pounchout may need a little cleaning with a dremel of any support material to help the otterbox clip sit flush in the hole.
2) Carefully bend and pry away the original plastic gator clip from the Otterbox Belt clip exposing the circular attachment point. I used a small pair of need nose pliers.
3) Align the adapter on your belt clip ( assuring a flush fit ) in the orientation you would like to mount your phone to your bike and using a small drill bit, drill a pilot hole with your drill about 4-5mm .
4) Find a way to countersink your hole so that your screw can sit flush behind the phone. ( Use a countersink or large dril bit tip )
5) Install your screw and test fit it on your bike.
6) If all is well, back out the screw just enough to remove the adapter and apply generous amounts of ABS juice or adhesive to both mating surfaces. Grab both pieces and align them and press them together as you install the screw again by hand. At this point using wood workers clamps you can clamp down on the adapter and belt clip plate. Use a small brush to add a light coat of ABS juice along the seam of the adapter plate and belt clip to help make it stronger.
7) Give the adhesive 24 hours to dry and harden. Once dry, run your zip ties through the two holes and mount it on your bike. Make sure to pull the zip ties nice and tight. Another tip is to run the zip ties in opposite directions to keep the base from wanting to pull to one side.
Materials and methods
- A Otterbox Belt Clip Backing
- A small countersunk screw
- ABS Juice in black or ABS Adhesive
- Small needle nose pliers
- Two clamps
- A drill
- A drill bit a little smaller than the diameter of your countersunk screw
- A small brush or adhesive applicator
- A screw driver to install your screw
Issues are used to track todos, bugs or requests. To get started, you could create an issue.